A recent study conducted by the Pew Research Center found that nearly one-third of American adults own smartphones. With so much technology in the hands of most of your guests, why not “wow” your crowd by implementing a new fundraising idea.
Mobile bidding at your silent auction can enhance the experience for your guests and most importantly drive up bids and increase profit for your cause. Mobile bidding allows your guests to browse, bid and monitor their charity auction item from any location. Most notably, mobile bidding provides a key difference than traditional paper bidding. Notifications sent directly to the device allows the bidder to have up-to-the-minute bid updates and encourages further bidding without ever revisiting the bidding table. This factor alone has impacted profit margins for charities by up to 20%. Additionally, at some events, the number of bidders has increased because of the opportunity to bid from outside of the room.
Like all technology however, there are always new challenges and concerns during the planning and execution of any event. Be prepared with these pre-event mobile bidding tips from our Fundraising Specialist, Michael Gordon. Asking the right questions during the pre-event planning phase is the easiest and most effective way to eliminate confusion and technical issues during your charity auction.
Questions and Concerns for your Venue:
- Though your main contact at the venue may be a catering director or event manager, it’s important to dig a little deeper. Ask to chat with the audio video specialist at the facility. They should know the facility and its technical abilities and be able to answer all of your concerns. Ask your Audio Visual contact:
- To discuss the wireless service in the venue. What are its limits? Is it secure? Do guests need a password to log on? Does he/she feel it is sufficient for the number of mobile devices you are anticipating? Ask about cellular reception in all areas of the venue? Are there drop zones?
Concerns for your Guests:
- Be sure to alert your registered guests about mobile bidding before they arrive at the event. This will ensure fewer “surprises” and allow guests to bring along their smartphone and be prepared.
- Be sure that your staff and your volunteers have had significant training regarding mobile bidding and the process so that as questions arise, your guests have help.
- Be sure to have a backup plan for your guests that do not wish to use their smartphone due to personal preference or if they do not have a smartphone. Mobile bidding agencies can often provide phones, tablets or kiosks to ensure that bidding opportunities are available to all guests.
- Make a decision as to when bidding on items will open, close and if your charity auction items will be available to bidders outside of the event. With mobile bidding technology, people that are unable to attend your event could have the opportunity to participate and contribute if you choose.
Charity Fundraising is happy to answer your questions and provide fundraising ideas for your live or silent auction. Mobile bidding is a wonderful new opportunity to engage your guests and drive up bids for your cause. At Charity Fundraising, we welcome your call to (201) 840-8777 to discuss fundraising ideas for your non-profit group.
Charity Fundraising serves over 2,000 non-profits worldwide by providing fundraising ideas and charity auction items to help them exceed all of their fundraising goals.